Wednesday, February 9

More Rules

A few weeks ago, I wrote about the rules for life with which I've become comfortable over several years of living. They're not rules for anyone else; rather, they are my own 'comfort nest.' While washing dishes, or mopping floors, or driving -- yeah, driving is a good one, more of my own rules have occurred to me, and in the interest of completion, I am adding them here. You hate to go day to day knowing that you've left something done half-assed.
Let's see, what number did I leave off with? Hang on -- I'll go check. OK. Back. Whew. Quick trip into blogland. Last one was number 7.

8. One olive is plenty for a martini. Two is greedy, and the bartender who strings four onto the little colored sword is just looking for a tip. (Four is how many will fit on the dagger.) The customer who eats them all is just a pretentious fool. One is the perfect touch, and yes, you can eat the one, but eat it s-l-0-w-l-y.
9. Speaking of martinis, there's no need to mess one up with too much vermouth. You never add vermouth to a martini. You pour it into the empty glass, swirl it around, and pour it out. This leaves just a film of vermouth in the glass, which is all you need. Then add the gin, preferably from the freezer.
10. To those of you who know me, yes, I really did quit drinking, but hey, I still CARE about the proper martini. If not for me, there might be dolts out there drinking vermouth-y martinis with the colored sword loaded to the hilt with olives. Poor taste.
11. Again for those of you who know me, you know I'm on this big economy kick, about time, you say, after I've been . . . well, 'bleeding cash' is how my dear eldest son once said it -- for oh so many years. Well, to have a healthy outlook on it, it's about time I began to do a little catching up, isn't it? So. Point number 11 is: no more purchased bread for us. A good loaf of bread, one with some nuts & seeds in it, is $2 to $3. I can make a great loaf for 47 cents. We all enjoy it, and when you bake bread at home, you never need air fresheners again.
12. Always let the other guy go first.
13. When in the presence of a really older person, remain standing until s/he sits. No one does this anymore. I know. But the really older person remembers when people used to do this, and they appreciate it. It's an unsaid thing. But you'll see it in their eyes when they realize what you're doing.
14. When you meet a little kid, squat down to talk to him. Same premise as number 13, but in reverse. They appreciate it, too, and it's an unsaid thing, here, too.

Well, I can remember 'em when I'm doing my daily stuff, but sit at the comp and whoosh! they dash away from the old brain. I'll put in more later. Til then...

No comments: