Tuesday, May 15

#52 Faithfulness

There was an article in our local paper last week about a young man who led the Pledge of Allegiance at his Town Council meeting as a Cub Scout 12 years ago.

It felt so good, he did it again, though this time without the rest of his pack. He went back and did it again. And again and again and again.

He led the Pledge of Allegiance at that Town Council meeting for 12 years, and this month, he led his last one before he leaves for college.

For years his mom drove him. Most recently, he drove himself. Standing at 6'2", he's quite a different guy than the little Cub who was there in 2006.

“I always wanted to do it, and I looked forward to doing it,” Huddleston said. “… I never thought I’d make it this far.”

I can't think of anything I've faithfully done for 12 years.

****
Last week our civic club honored teachers with our annual Teacher Appreciation Day. One of our longest-term members chairs the event each year.

As we walked out to the parking lot, I asked him how long he's been chairing the thing.

"Well," he said, "I volunteered for it in 1972."

(Lips moving) That's 46 years. He's been doing this every year since I was 16 years old.

There's certainly nothing in my life I've done with consistency for 46 years.

"Oh, sure," you say, "There's got be something."

No, the only things that come to mind are brushing my teeth and going to bed. Pets have come and gone. Kids have been in and out. Hobbies have waxed and waned. Marriages failed. Nope, there's nothing I've done -- particularly for others -- for any amount of time.

Sorta makes you think.

No comments: