Tuesday, January 1

#57 Who’s Gooder ‘n We Are?

In the fall of 2003 I attended John C. Campbell Folk School in Brasstown, TN for a three-day watercolor workshop. As I recall, the class was comprised mostly, but not all, of middle-aged women. Among us was an older woman from Maggie Valley, NC, who would soon die from liver cancer.

She was very at peace with her situation and had taken the class to help in documenting her memories for her grandchildren.

As we painted, the class sometimes engaged in idle chat. One subject was using one’s good china and crystal at home.

“I use mine every day,” the cancer patient said, “and you should, too. Who’s gooder ‘n we are?”

Little did she know her words would resonate with me. She’s long gone now, and still I carry her words.

I’m trying to draw every day, and today I went through my art supplies looking for a nice portable sketchbook.

I came across a lovely choice, a book my Dear Son #2 found down a dark alley in Vietnam, where he had read about a woman who made her own paper and bound it into sketchbooks.

On one hand, it seems too special to draw in. On the other, what will give my children more pleasure after I die— coming across the book empty, or filled with daily sketches?

I drew my first picture in it this evening, because, of course, who’s gooder than we are?




No comments: