Tuesday, March 26

#59 Are you an Artist?

The oddest thing happened on Sunday. I met a man and we did the usual, Mike, this is Maggie. Maggie, this is Mike. Then he asked, "Are you an artist?"

It was an unusual first question. As my mind raced through the various possible answers, I simply answered, "No."

But, yes, I am. And so are you. I like to draw. I write for a living. I refinish furniture and sew and do a thousand creative things. Yes, I'm an artist.

And so are you. Everyone I know says, "I can't draw a straight line." I want to scream, "A straight line isn't art!" Wiggly lines are. Curvy lines are. Crisscrossing lines are. But not straight lines.

Do you arrange food on a plate before serving it? Do you hum, sing, whistle? Do you arrange your home in a warm and welcoming way?

We are all artists, some more than others, only because they've opened themselves up to the possibility of being an artist.

Nice to meet you -- are you an artist?


No comments: