Thursday, February 16

The Veg Thing

I shared with some of you in the fall my intentions to stop being a vegetarian after some twelve years of practicing vegetarianism. Your reactions were surprising. I had felt somewhat outcast even by my own extended family for years as you conspired on visits to run to McDonald's, and of course at the family gatherings when the ever popular "What will we feed her?" came up. Yet when we "announced" the change, most reactions were of shock and dismay. "It's such a part of you!" was the most popular response.

I had made the decision due to what I felt was an addiction to carbohydrates. I felt that introducing more protein into my diet would make meals filling and reduce my dependency on carbohydrates.

Well, after a 5-month struggle with being a carnivore, I am once again a firm vegetarian. I will spare you the glamorous details, but suffice it to say, my system did not care for the change. I've been veggie once again for two weeks and my body is finally beginning to heal.

I am glad that I gave it a try; it proved to me that this is where I need to be. I am once again a pretty strict veggie, foregoing broth and so on, and mostly eating vegetables with some tofu and beans for protein. I once again feel energetic and have been working out daily. We'll see how it goes.........

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mom, FWIW, what you eat doesn't bother me at all. I'm glad you're keeping yourself healthy!

-- Todd