Thursday, April 20

Haunting Day

Today has been totally weird. There are some commercials on TV where the characters have things hanging over their heads. In one commercial, it's a fast-food logo. In another, it's a dark cloud. I guess today I had fog.
It started well enough. I have made a commitment to have my morning coffee on the porch in the mornings, instead of in front of the computer looking at the news. The goal is to set the tone of the day with nature instead of .. well, the computer and news. This morning was very very foggy and everything seemed ethereal. Well, can things seem ethereal? I guess they either are, or they aren't. To seem ethereal, somehow that seems to be an oxymoron. Or maybe redundant.
But I digress. Had a lovely morning drinking coffee and watching the fog.
We are "redo-ing" Little One's room. Out with the twin beds, back in with her old iron bed. Right now, no beds are in there, as we are in the process of removing the carpet. Today I spent about two hours pulling staples out of the hardwood floor with a long pair of pliers. Got the blisters to prove it.
When the mail arrived I learned of the suicide of a member of our church. I won't go into the "who" or the "how" or the "how I learned," it's not important. It happened several weeks ago and, living in the fog as I do, I had no idea this had happened.
My heart is heavy for the man who felt he had no choices left. I cannot imagine the sadness he felt.
My heart is heavy for the person who found him.
My heart is heavy for his family.
DH and I are shaken by the whole event -- we feel, well, shaken, is all I can say. I am still processing this. The day started with the fog, and in one sense, that's how it ends tonight as well.

No comments: