Saturday, October 28

What IS it?

Years ago, I ~very unwisely~ kiddingly called DH Mr. Gadget. I believe this may have even been before I realized he is Mr. Sensitive. Boy, have I paid for it ever since. Every time I find some cool gadget, he reminds me that I called him Mr. Gadget.

This thing is so cool. Fortunately it only cost $3.59. Most of the gadgets I fall in love with (read IPod here) cost way, way more.

So, what is it?












Bing! Bing! Bing! You are absolutely correct. It's a bias tape maker. To make your own color-coordinated bias tape, you have to cut the fabric on the 45, stitch all the pieces together at right angles, and then fold over 1/4" sides to the middle and iron the thing.

I'm quite sure all of you have done this before, and so you are aware that the heat from the iron sort of channels through the folded fabric, scalding your fingers as you feebly hold the sides down to iron them down.

This gadget folds and holds for you and you just chase it down the flat tape with the iron. Out behind the iron, voila (or walla as some are spelling it now--) is the folded, pressed, bias tape. My DDIL2 told me about this amazing gadget a couple years ago. I'm slow, but I do catch on.







Here are the yards of bias tape I made in about 10 minutes. The ironing part, that is. The measuring, cutting, sewing at right angles, and trimming took an hour or so. Ppl don't seem to understand for a very few of us, this is actually FUN.

No comments: