Thursday, October 26

Zzzzz

The past 2 weeks have really been frenetic for me. I have been in the position of attending one meeting only to have to rush out and run to the next meeting. I believe this has been exacerbated by my recent work at the computer place for kids. They want to hire me; don't have the money; are trying to raise the money to hire me; so I am donating some time there as an incentive for them to make it happen. I am only technically involved with two organizations, church and PTA, but serve on several committees at each, and have been running like a madwoman. The Smalltown Zoning Board of Appeals, where I also serve, has not met lately.
Neighborhood Association met last week, which also took some planning, but following that meeting, we had our annual election of officers, and the very capable vice-president was elected president. I truly enjoyed the 2 years of serving as president, but I was ready to step down and thankful he was willing to take it on. He will do a fine job. In fact, he has organized an investment group that met last night to discuss buying some of the slummy houses on the edge of our n'hood, improving them, and renting to families rather than crack dealers, who has them now. I can't wait to hear how the meeting went.

Little One's first band concert was Monday night. She had a solo and several of her friends did, too. Her dearest and oldest gf sits in first chair and LO told DH, "No offense to my friend, but I'm TAKING that first chair." Good for her. Go for it. The concert was great -- the eight graders sounded better than ANY high school band I've ever heard -- and the others said the sixth graders sounded better than sixth graders usually sound at this point in the year. Having only had band class for 8 weeks, with many of the kids never have learned notes before, it's got to be a challenge to have them ready for any concert.

She swims in a meet next weekend; there is one this weekend but she is attending a regional Student Council Conference instead. She was selected as the 6th grade representative based on her outgoing and friendly nature. The day she got the information, she got into the car and breathlessly told me all about it. "I don't know a soul!! I can't wait to go!" she said. She's pretty amazing.

Today my calendar is CLEAR so I am thankfully cleaning house. DH even offered to drive LO to school this morning, so I am luxuriating in the pleasure of being HOME. Time to go fire up the vacuum......

No comments: