Saturday, February 10

Saturday Blogger

If it seems that I have become a Saturday Blogger, it may well be the case...for now. Hmm. Let's see what's new this week.

I guess most present on my mind is the Middle School Dance DH and I chaperoned last night. Our PTA held a Valentine's Dance last night and it was a grand success. I cringed when some on the Exec Board suggested we sell carnations, but everyone went for it and we sold out. Little One was even given one by the very cute boy who hulked behind her at a 3- to- 5- foot radius all night. He's a good kid, stocky with beautiful blue eyes and a little butch haircut. He's in her band class and maybe more, Old Nana isn't sure -- but he's bright and has a darling sense of humor. Of course she doesn't care a whit about him. She slow-danced with him twice but says it was only on a dare. It amazes me how girls fail to think that boys might have feelings, too. Was I like that?

One of her gf's came home with us from the dance to sleep over. They sat in the TV room upstairs and were still chatting at 11:30 when I went to bed. No, now that I think of it, they were making popcorn when I went to bed at 11:30.

Thursday was tryouts for the school talent show. Little One considered singing with gfs, but amazingly she must have listened when I said, "You sing pretty well, and you are really talented with the piano; which will you choose?" She had taught herself a piece on the piano called, "Tara's Theme," (we all know it as the theme song to "The Young and the Restless") and has played it like a zillion times since the first of the year. Wednesday night, she stayed up practicing it til 10:15. Ordinarily she goes to bed on the stroke of 9 (or 19, depending on which clock you listen to), but on this night, I just let her go. I'd rather she stay up a little late practicing, than go to bed and fret over the piece. The next morning as DH slept upstairs (night shift again) she asked if she might play it once more. I asked her to close the door to the upstairs and go for it. She played it through 2 or 3 more times -- beautifully, I might add-- and was ready to go.

Our band director was the judge and shared with us that she played calmly and beautifully at the tryouts. He was so glad to see someone with an actual talent, as half the school were trying out by lip-synching to various pop or rap songs. She was accepted into the talent show without a hitch.

Thursday was the Awards Assembly at school and she got Citizenship and Honor Roll ribbons (both for the second time) and this time she also got an invitation to join the Honor Society. The induction reception is Tuesday the 20th. We will take and post pics if it's not too entirely humiliating for her. :)

The story on the lady who runs the planetarium is supposed to run in the paper tomorrow. You can find it by going to www.salisburypost.com and search for my first and last name. All my articles will come up. This article is supposed to be named, "The Lady Behind the Stars," but the title is actually my editor's decision. I suggested it and she said she liked it, so it may or may not be used. Before you search, you might look at that first page of the website; it might be featured there so that you can just click on the leader.

I interviewed the Mayor of this small town Wednesday for my next article, "In His Steps," which is about folks who are working in the same field as their dads. The interview was awesome and I hope I can convey that through the article. I am still working on getting others for the article. I hope to find two other townspeople who are following their fathers' footsteps.

The computer class I teach on Wednesdays is going pretty well, I think . This week we took clip art apart and recolored it, and added components to it, then grouped it back together so that it could be moved around as one unit. It is a Word class and we did all this while in Word. Lots of folks seemed to think we would go into Paintbrush for this, but you can more easily do it all from inside Word. The class seemed to enjoy it. One of our people brought her daughter, who is the same age as LO, and she was absolutely the fastest student in the room. While the adults were asking exactly what did I mean, or my mouse won't bring up that menu, she was busily accomplishing the task I had assigned. It was great and I have even asked the church if I might teach a class to middle schoolers in the fall. Be careful what you ask for. I might wind up wondering what in the heck was I thinking.

DH talked me out of painting faces at the YMCA today, even though I make about $200 in one day doing it. He said I needed to sleep in more than we needed the money. I woke up this morning at 5:30 and tried hard to go back to sleep. At 7:30 when he got up, I lay there and looked at the dust on my nightstand and decided to get up and get started cleaning our room. As I was in the kitchen finding my dusting supplies, etc, he returned to bed!... and here I am, up bright and early, wishing I were painting faces or cleaning, but not hanging out getting nothing accomplished. Ah, well. Life goes on...

No comments: