Thursday, June 28

Great Image

I was exploring our little garden early this morning: looking for new veggies, pulling up a weed here and there, checking out all the little bat-ropes our cukes have thrown up since we caged them last weekend. I was also checking for vandalism. I scared away a blue jay yesterday when I drove in the driveway, and earlier, when I was on the phone inside, I saw our neighborhood rabbit scampering away from the garden. Thankfully, I did not see any damage.
We do have about 5 new yellow pear tomatoes forming, the tiny kind. They look like tiny light bulbs. Zillions of cucumbers, a couple of tiny beefsteak tomatoes starting, and buds are forming on the beans. Two of the pepper plants have lots of buds on them, but I believe they're the hot pepper plants. The bell pepper plant is not too prolific. The herbs are all doing well. We have 3 sage plants, parsley, 2 basil plants, dill, lemon thyme, cilantro, and of course our hardy rosemary bushes. They are at least 5 years old and take over the place. I keep hacking them back and they come back stronger than ever. Oh yes, and the also-hardy mint! A neighbor asked for some in the spring, and I had to warn him: be careful what you ask for. It's the next generation of kudzu.
As I was exploring the garden, the bees were buzzing around, busily collecting pollen from the blooms. I saw the most amazing image and doggone, did not have a camera handy. The image was so transitory I knew that I did not have time to run for one.
You know how the sun can strike a bloom and the petals just glow? As if they were illuminated from within? Well, a couple of the cucumber blooms were in the sunlight at just the perfect angle so that the yellow was just vivid. And there, inside one bloom, was a bee, doing his thing. His shadow appeared on the outside of the bloom with such detail, it was amazing. I just froze, there, leaning over, my hand still grasping a weed in the ground. He left the one bloom and entered another that was just as lit up as the first, and again, I had this grand shadow-movie of his activity inside the bloom.
I am trying to describe it as I am much better with words than with cameras anyway, but this may be one of those things you would just have to see. Take my word for it, it was breathtaking.
I always try to be a person who appreciates small pleasures, and this was surely one.

No comments: