Tuesday, March 3

Snow and Refrigerator Poetry

We have had two blissful days locked in the house with about 5" of snow outside. I have not heard the actual official figure, but there appears to be about an index-card depth piled on the bird feeder, the handrails, and the stairs.

LO has been out of school, and the holiday has coincided with her freedom from having been grounded for what seemed like an awfully long time. She spent a happy evening on Facebook with her cell phone in hand, texting with both the right hand and the left.

Little Dog hates to poop in the snow. I am sure she feels as I do, that it is so very unsightly to have the dark turds perched atop the pristine snow. She will waddle back and forth, legs very bowed, and even whimper a little, looking for a more obscure spot. Finally, she can't stand it any more and has to just let loose. She glances over her shoulder at me accusingly, "Can't you find me a good spot of grass? What sort of owner are you, anyway?"

I don't have to answer her.

****************************

I think it's a shame that more people don't write refrigerator poetry. I got a set of words about 7 years ago and have enjoyed it immensely. I don't remember who gave them to me but it was so so thoughtful.

We still have two poems I wrote a long time ago, but the impact of slamming an 80-pound door 100 times a day has been rough on the poetry.

What used to say,

"Spring and summer are the dear friends I think of all winter long"

now says,

"Spring and summer friend I think winter."

And...

"You whisper to me / of love and eternity / and my heart sings"

now reads,

"You me eternity my heart sing"

..... I keep them around because my original sentiment is still there.

The kit has about 300 words printed on tiny magnets, and they even have suffixes and prefixes so you can make the words the way you need them. This is how "sings" became "sing" -- the S got lost.

The box of words long ago got lost. I think someone got tired of picking up the 300 pieces of half-inch magnet every time they fell off the closet shelf, and chucked them.

But it was a lovely gift. If you gave them to me, and you are reading this, thank you.

If I ever get another set, I will keep them in a drawer.

No comments: