Thursday, January 19

Forebodings

What otherwise seemed to be a normal day started abruptly. Phone rang in the dark. Clock showed 5:59. "Did I wake you?" asked the voice on the other end. "No," I lied. I had to get up and answer the phone. "Tell your husband I don't have any hot water. I'm working at the high school. I'll leave the front door open." click.
DH had spent four hours last night replacing the water heater for our elderly neighbor. I guess he's still considered elderly: 79. He's a kid compared to our back door neighbor, who is 92. His work at the high school is serving as a substitute teacher. They call him frequently; he earns $75 a day at it. He had found DH yesterday at 4pm to report his water heater was leaking all over the basement. DH checked it out and found the entire bottom rusted through.
Neighbor borrowed another neighbor's pickup truck and ran to Lowe's to buy another. (They wanted $55 to deliver it and would not get it here till Friday.) They loaded it on and DH unloaded it and they dollied it down to the basement. DH un-installed the old one and installed the new one.
DH rolled out of bed and ran to see what was not working. They had forgotten to turn the thing on. He flipped the switch and came home all smiles.
Meanwhile, I had awakened Little One and was preparing French toast. She was making bed and putting on school uniform. DH offered to drive her to school since he was already dressed.
We ate / she brushed teeth, washed face, changed jacket, changed earrings. (Already becoming a little obsessed with these things.) They left.
I sat at computer to work on some new software the church bought for our Contemporary Worship. I can't get it to import song lyrics in from online service; worked on it last night and finally left it for today.
DH had already been here. He religiously (ha!) checks the astrology on MSN every day. Typically he leaves mine up on the screen. I consider it all hoodooism but he wants me to have the "edge" of knowing how my day will go, so I can be prepared.
Here is what is predicted for today:
January 20, 2006
What looks like solid ground may actually be quicksand, maggie. Be careful of where you step. There is an element of misunderstanding and fanciful actions to the day that might make it difficult to get through to people. The good news is that your emotions are apt to be quite solid, and you should find that your inner stability is the thing that will aid you in keeping a healthy frame of mind, regardless of what sort of events transpire.
Well, how cool is that. I have just realized this is the dire prediction for tomorrow, not today. I can relax. I am meeting with City folks today about the Park etc. Tomorrow a GF is taking me out to lunch for a late birthday observance, and I attend the Awards Assembly at Little One's elementary school. What can go wrong there?

No comments: