Tuesday, January 3

Silk Flowers in the Ground

I live in a pretty cool neighborhood. It was developed 100 years ago and is now inhabited by a mix of senior citizens who are still here from earlier and younger families who have bought these substantial houses on tiny lots for a somewhat reduced price, and are trying to fix them up. It's a mix of bungalows, Tudors and Victorian homes and the average lot size is 1/3 to 1/2 acre. Our front lawn is actually so small I can mow it with a reel mower (read that, no motor) in about 10 minutes.

Most of us are middle class folks who work for a living and know the value of a dollar. We have everything we need and most of what we want.

All that said, there is a pretty major amount of decorum observed in the neighborhood. It's almost as if there were rules.
o We don't mow on Sunday. In fact, any power yard tools are pretty much frowned upon.
o We wave. Someone drives by, you wave. If they don't wave back, they're not from here.
o We watch our children. It's very rarely you'll see a child outside without a parent nearby.
o We watch each other's children. Kid comes by on a bike without a helmet, we tell him to go home and put one on. And the amazing thing is -- they do.
o We watch each other's pets/homes/cars. Someone goes out of town, neighbors have a key to feed the pets, bring in the mail, turn the lights on, keep an eye on things.
o With some exceptions, most of us keep our yards mown, decorate tastefully for Christmas, take the decorations down in a timely fashion.

Which brings me to today's revelation. We. have. a. neighbor. who. has. planted. silk. flowers. in. her. yard.

It was kind of predictable. When the American Flag appeared on the front with tinsel and Christmas lights around the edges, I should've thought to myself, "Next thing you know she'll plant some silk flowers," but I did not have that foresight.

She does have ceramic ducks in her front yard, but discreet yard ornamentation has never been verboten around here. Silk flowers, however, are a little over the top, even around here.

It's not like I really mind. One of the big atmosphere things in the neighborhood is our pioneer spirit. We are fighting the good fight with old houses. If we wanted an easy life, we'd be down highway 150 in a new house. No, we are rugged individuals.

No, I just would like to understand what she's thinking. Is she for real? "Hm, I'll buy some flowers for the yard. .. hey, if I buy silk ones, they'll 'live' forever."

Or did she do this tongue-in-cheek? "Hey, it's winter and all, and things look kind of bleak. I'll give the neighborhood a good laugh and stick some silk flowers in the dirt. It'll brighten everyone's day."

I don't know the lady -- don't know her name and if I ran into her, I'm not sure I'd recognize her. She rents from a friend who also lives on the block.

Well. Whether she did it innocently or as a joke, you got to admire her spirit.

No comments: