Wednesday, January 4

More progress on kitchen

DH took a few days off to continue work on the kitchen. We (ahem, HE) painted it (well, I primed!) and that inspired him to complete trimming out the back door. He had removed the whole door, frame and all, this summer, and rebuilt it into a sound entity, much closer to square than the original, and besides that, the new version had about 9 coats less paint than the original. So the doorframe has stood without any molding on it since about July. He trimmed it all out on Monday and came home Tuesday afternoon announcing, "I'm taking a few days off to work more on the kitchen."

Hooray.

Inspired, myself, with the new color, (imagine this, it's a very rosy yellow,) I of course am anxious to hang art.

I don't have any valuable pieces or anything that would appeal to anyone else. We picked up two vintage Cream of Wheat ads, each about 11x14, at an auction several years ago, and this Christmas DH bought me a vintage botanical from DF who owns the eclectic shop at the farm. It's an authentic vintage piece, about 15x22, in an old black simple frame. It actually doesn't have flowers per se, but tomato plants with the yellow blooms, also some herbs. She also threw in some floral vintage botanicals, a set of six, and four of them are red flowers -- dahlia, geranium, poinsetta, and one other. My fifty year old brain can't seem to call it up right now. I'll get back to you on that one. These botanicals (of course) are an odd size as well, something like 13.5x19. I scored some frames with 14x20 openings from Garden Ridge, the great store that sells scads of useless crap. The frames cost more than I had wanted to pay, so the frame clerk directed me to "Value Art" on sale. I found the frames I wanted, pulled out the prints, and put in the florals.

My new friend from New Orleans, a Salisbury immigrant thanks to Katrina, lost both her home and art gallery to the storm / flood. Art gallery.....hmm... the perfect person to help us hang our art in the perfect places.

She was going to come this morning to help us place it, but something came up. "Want to pull down these old cabinets?" asked DH with a distinct twinkle in his eye. "Sure!!" I replied. So with crowbar in hand, we did the deed. Hauled cabinets outside / scrubbed walls and ceiling that had been inside them for 73 years (ick) / patched plaster where mounting screws (nails!) had been (also cracks in plaster) / scrubbed again / cut hole in ceiling where cabinet had been over sink / wired for a light over sink / hung light.

Here's the result.
Please ignore the bottle of homemade Kahlua some friends gave us for New Year's. DH never remembers to remove incriminating evidence before he shoots a pic.

So, tomorrow, we will hang art, and prime and paint the green wall you see over the windows.

No comments: