Monday, March 27

Walking One Block

It occurred to me this morning how very lovely it is to walk a simple block in our neighborhood.

There is no school today, which sort of nixed our Girls' Coffee Out. Every Monday the three of us meet at local coffeehouse and drink coffee and gab and laugh for an hour or two. Because there was no school, one of us was at home with her two girls, so we went to her house instead. Her home is only a block away so I allowed Little One to stay at home "alone." DH was upstairs sleeping in the guest room, which he always does when he's on night shift. So she was not really home alone -- it just felt like it. I took my cell phone and of course we recited the liturgy before I left -- don't go to the door, tell any callers I "can't come to the phone right now" etc, etc. She has been wanting to stay home alone and this was a great first run.

So I stepped out of the house. Crabapple blooms floated in the air. The sun shone in a brilliantine sky. The air is crispy but not really cold, and the birds of course are singing like madmen. What a great day to walk for coffee with your gf's..

A couple of doors down the street was a young mom, loading her new dog into the car. We talked about the new dog. She apologized for cutting down their tree -- if anyone asks, it really was rotten. See the hole in the middle? I assured her no one would ask. Are you coming the the party? Yes, I'm coming with a girlfriend. Can we save money and come as a couple? Sure, I replied, and ventured on.

Next door to her is an elderly couple. The husband is very ill with bone cancer and the wife is struggling to cope. I get the idea he has always been the real strength in the family. Their paper was out in the yard so I carried it to the doorstep and put it there.

After their house was the house of the Barking Dogs. Went to the fence and schmoozed with them. They quickly turned into happy, tail-wagging dogs who just want love like the rest of us.

Two doors after that is the house with an Awesome Gardner. Her candytuft is already blooming -- how'd she do that? Next was the Hansel and Gretel house that is up for sale soon. It's always been one of my favorite houses. Finally, I was at gf's house. Through the picket gate and up to the screen door with the red ribbon in the door. Lovely start to the day!

No comments: