Tuesday, June 13

The Big Hunt

Never before have I been sitting at the computer and had something funny happen so that I said, "I'll blog that right now." Just now it did, but don't expect roll-in-the-floor humor. It was only mildly funny.
Now that I have lowered your expectations, I'll share the story.
On Sunday, I prepared two packages for mailing: a package of neighborhood information, vintage photos, and paver information for the adult son of our 92-year-old neighbor,and a package for the InLaws with Little One's dvd from the Choral Concert and a photo, and notes from myself and from Little One. I addressed the two packages, minus the InLaws' zip code, and stamped both. It seems after ten years, I still have to confirm their zip code with DH. So I set the packages on the end of the island to wait for DH to come home for that confirmation.
On Monday I arose to find the island bare. Thinking maybe DH had taken them to mail them, I kept on with the day. When DH came home, I asked if he had taken them. "No," he replied. I began searching in earnest. No packages.
This morning, I raised the alarm. "We must find the packages!!!!" DH took this to heart. He looked and looked and LOOKED. He looked upstairs. He looked downstairs. I heard my car open and close in the garage. I heard my trunk open and close. Finally, he looked in the recycling.
DH appeared in the doorway. WITH the packages. "Where'd you find them?" I asked.
He opened his mouth and closed it and walked out. "It's not good for your heart to keep things in like that. You should say what you think," I chided him.
There in the doorway, he said, "When you get in the mood to throw things out, you THROW THEM OUT. There could be something you bought yesterday with the $100 price tag still on it, but if you are in the cleaning frenzy, OUT it goes."
(He's exaggerating a tad here, but it's not too far from the truth.)

"When I looked in the recycling," he continued, "and saw you had thrown out Smithsonian magazines," (he's right, I almost never let one go) I knew I was on the right trail. I kept digging and there they were."

Note to inlaws: in the mail today. :)

No comments: