Sunday, March 25

Summer Plans

I am blogging only because I try to do so on a weekly basis now that I am home less often. However, I have so little to report. Let's see...

LO's band concert was Tuesday night. It was great as usual.

She is busily practicing for her PBS (that's Positive Behavior Students) Talent Show, which is this Thursday evening at 7:30. I have seen a few of the acts when I go to pick her up, (I go a bit early so as to catch a little of it) and there are singers, a very cool skateboard act with ramps on the stage and rock music, dancers, and LO. There is more but I have not caught it yet. LO is playing the theme song from the Young & the Restless on the piano. It has lots of pedal action, which is new for her. Her band instructor has patiently mentored her on this piece, including how to hold her hands suspended above the keyboard as the last note dies away. It's quite charming.

We had a bit of a flurry this week trying to get her into Music Camp at a nearby university extension. It's their 25th year of this program and it has a great reputation. I called them before mailing the application. They are just now opening applications postmarked February and many instrument spots are already filled. Fortunately there were a few flute spots and a few more piano spots available, so we sent in with a request that she be placed in flute (first choice) or piano if that's filled, likewise please admit her the first week (first choice) or 2nd week if that is filled. DH is in Mexico on the second week so would miss her closing recital on the Friday night; that is why we prefer the first week. We are in hopes that by opening the choices to four options, she can get in somehow. Her band teacher and piano teacher had to recommend her and they both marked that she is an outstanding musician. Cross your fingers on this one. If she does not get in this year, we will send in the application in January next year. Just wish we had known about the program a littler earlier this year.

If she gets to go, she will stay in a dorm room with one other girl her age. There are RA's on every floor, and she will dine in the dining hall. I spoke with a couple of college students who help with the camp every summer, and they said the kids all have a blast.

In addition to that camp, I have signed her up for two separate weeks of tennis camp, day-camp, at the local college. She is taking three art classes at the museum where I work, and last night our Exec Director asked if I need for her to help as a classroom assistant some this summer. What a nice opportunity! LO is excited about this chance and looks forward to doing this.

Well, now she is talking about going to a wilderness camp so I am off to cruise the internet in search of. ....

No comments: