Sunday, March 18

Tough Subject

If you are looking for a fun posting, please just keep cruising today, as my friend's husband committed suicide Friday night and this post will not be happy.

I found out about it yesterday after spending the day with LO in Charlotte for the audition and then shopping. Fortunately her BF invited her over on the cell phone as we were driving in, so I dropped her off and come home. The six messages on our machine were the first indicator that something was up. I went over last night and stayed probably 45 minutes.

There have been issues for a very, very long time, and without going into the whole story, I will say that he is in a much, much better place now. She and her children are in shock. I know she will have to go into the workplace after about 20 years out of it, which will be another. She will have to stop homeschooling her 11-year-old, which will be a shock to them both.

DH and I have been trying to process this situation ever since learning about it. It is the second suicide within our church family in 13 months. DH had reached out to the husband on a number of occasions, but his illness prevented him from being able to respond.

My friend's parents moved to town a few years ago to be near the family and they are on the older side. It hurt so badly last night to see the pain in their faces.

So there are so many people in pain right now, and we just can't make sense of any of it. At the risk of sounding cruel, I will say that suicide seems to me to be the supremely selfish act. I know he had lost hope and all that but he has left so many people who loved him in terrible pain now.

If you the reader are a praying person, please pray for this friend and those in her life. Thanks.

No comments: