Sunday, August 5

Confessions of a Food Page Writer

OK, sigh, so I write the food page for our local paper, and ~true confession~ I am not that good a cook. I've done 2 food pages so far, and one of them was an interview, which I must say I am better at than actually cooking.





So I am conducting research -- lots of it! -- to try to do the best job I can, especially considering, I am not that good a cook.





Add to that, I am a vegetarian, have been for about 14 years, with the occasional fish and a few chicken meals 2 years ago, and I am a bit limited on what I can actually make for the photos. Well, I can make things, but as far as being able to taste them and see if they are tasty, that's another story. And, I would like to put in recipes that I know myself are pretty good, and easy to prepare, as everyone but me seems to be in such a doggone rush these days.





Today, I was studying online and found a website different from those I usually check. My usual ones are the common ones like allrecipes.com and foodnetwork.com, you know. Today I found http://www.fabulousfoods.com/, which had holiday recipes in it.





I have already written and had photo shoot for September so now I am in the process of trying to develop October. So of course, I clicked on the Holidays link, then Halloween. No kidding, I found this cake:
It's kitty litter cake, a regular cake iced with icing, then sprinkled with cookie crumbs with a little green food coloring mixed in. The, er, solid items, are mini Tootsie Rolls. Note the one artfully draped over the edge of the pan. The recipe did specify to use a NEW litter pan and NEW scooper.

I will not be including this on the food page.

No comments: