Wednesday, August 15

Sites of note


"While I was web-surfing at 4:30 this morning," she casually started, "I ran into something pretty cool: a goldfish bowl with an office in it." Don't believe her? Here is the pic:

It's only $25 at www.fredflare.com. How did I find it? Well, I was on a writers' site looking at different magazines participating in a writers' conference, when I saw the editor of O magazine was going to be there. O is "o"wned by the Hearst Corporation, who doesn't usually use free lancers, although there are a few of their smaller magazines who do. I had had the notion that O did not. So I clicked over to O magazine's website to look for writers' guidelines. Did not see them, but did see the cutest little stapler for only $6 that does not use staples. One of Oprah's Favorites. So of course I clicked on the hyperlink, which took me to fredflare.com, where I found this little gem. Cute, huh.

On a similar safari, I ran into the website for a gal who is co-writing Chicken Soup for the Twenty-Something Soul. They are looking for writers for short stories of the Chicken Soup genre. Upon entering her website, the traveler is met with her self-description: Life Coach. Author. Speaker. Then the traveler notices her picture on the right: She is twentysomething! How the, ahem, heck, can she be a life coach? She has barely tasted life! She's a baby! Here is the link: http://www.christinehassler.com/books.php

What would I want a life coach to look like, if I were pitiful enough to hire one? Maybe like Jane on the Beverly Hillbillies? Sort of taciturn and dry? Naw, wrong image. Too skinny, not enough fun in her demeanor. How about, um... Cameron Diaz? mmm, no, too perfect. Hey! Got it! Ina Garten! "Who the heck is Ina Garten?" you ask. She's The Barefoot Contessa on the Food Channel. She's breezy, fun, slightly overweight, attractive without being uber, good humor, confident but not too, and just generally fun. She's always fixing some sort of food for all her friends. Yep, if I were in a situation to hire a life coach, that's what she'd need to be like, certainly NOT some young blonde thing. But hey, to each his own.

No comments: