Wednesday, May 7

How Fast Can You...

Type? DH has always remarked on my rapid typing. If he walks into the room and starts to speak, and I look up at him and continue to type away on the keyboard, he typically says something like, "Doggone how you do that!" (Shades of Andy of Mayberry.)
I typically respond by saying I type (or "key") slowly these days as compared to the heyday of my programming career. This week he asked how fast I typed at my fastest. I told him I was once clocked at 121 wpm.
This led me to wonder how slow I actually am now. I googled "test typing speed" and got several hits. This one has plenty of free testing and has nothing to sell -- nothing that I see, anyway. It gave me a good few minutes of testing myself, which I should tell you, I actually enjoy, always have. My parents met during WWII as my mother taught typing at her local Army base; my dad was her student, so maybe my fascination with it all came from the womb.
At first I typed a mere 72wpm with no errors, but as I crept up to 78, then 84, my errors increased. I did not count the words but the passage is short and at one point I made 3 errors, quite high for such a short passage. Give it a try and see how fast you can type.

No comments: