Thursday, June 17

TV

I've never considered myself much of a TV watcher until recently. In fact, for several years in my 20's and 30's, I prided myself on not even having a TV.

As we've crept into our 50's my dear hubby has morphed into this TV-watching beast, flipping from manshow to manshow, abandoning ALL pretense of watching anything remotely woman-friendly. From How That's Made to the true story of the Atlanta kidnappings, he seems fascinated by murder, mayhem, and science.

I've responded by a parallel retreat into all things estrogen. I follow every Housewives, from Atlanta to Orange County to NY and NJ. I love to chance upon a Dear Genevieve on HGTV, and will watch pretty much anything on Bravo.

Except Top Chef. I hate it. They're too over-the-top dramatic for me. Background drum rolls heighten the tension as the judges insult the poor contestants. "You burned the eggs." I fold a shirt and think, "Who cares?" -- pick up the clicker and check out what's on QVC. Meanwhile in the next room I hear bombs exploding and gunfire.

I wistfully remember the days when DH and I watched -- and discussed-- things together. Real World on MTV. Survivor. Movies. It was such fun!

There are a few things we still watch together: American Idol is one, although he has been disparaging it lately, and I think those days are coming to an end. Currently we watch So You Think You Can Dance as a family. LO loves dance, and I enjoy our togetherness as much as I enjoy the show itself.

I have recently "discovered" a new show that I can't seem to interest DH in. The show is called, Nine by Design, and it came on Bravo. I think it's over for now but I hope it will return next year.

It's a reality show about a real-life couple in NYC who discovered they had a talent for design. Every time they design a home for themselves, someone comes along and offers them zillions of dollars for it, and they have to move again.

They have 7 kids, all with unusual names: Major, Wolfie, Bellamy, Tallula, Breaker, Five (yes, they have a child named Five!), and Holleder.

The parents, Cortney and Bob, stray for the norm by being, well, extremely normal, on a reality show. They don't yell at their kids, they don't yell at each other, they care about others, they work to contribute to the well-being of others, and they work hard at their work.

In-between the adventures (getting lost in London, scheduling 2 charitable events in the same week,) we get glimpses of their extraordinary and unique design. I love this show and have been known to watch it over and over on Hulu. Check it out.

So yes, I'm over 50 and my days of disparaging TV are long gone. Nowadays I notice what days various shows come on and plan my time accordingly. It's a huge waste of time, doesn't make anyone's world any better, and I do it anyway. Welcome to America.

No comments: