Saturday, December 17

Happy Birthday Little Brother

Well, I guess I am officially getting OLD, because I almost, almost began this posting with "My little brother was born 37 years ago today, and I remember it like it was yesterday."

But I will not.

But, yes, I do. We were shipped to friends of the family to spend the night, a very uncommon occurrence in our family. I was twelve, and my parents did not share any knowledge of the nuances of pregnancy. I knew my mother was expecting. I knew she ate Rolaids like popcorn. I had a vague notion of how the baby was created. And I knew my dad was acting all cocky and proud of expecting a baby and being over forty.

Earlier in the summer and fall, my mom was busy sending copies of my dad's new book to those people who mailed in their checks and order forms. She would sit on the living room floor and wrap the books in brown paper, carefully copying the addresses on the front. We would gather the wrapped books into the car and take them to the post office to mail. I remember solicitously carrying the books for her, so protective already of the baby inside.

So on 17.December, we spent the night at the friends' house. One of their bedrooms had captains' beds, really high up, with drawers below, and I thought that was the coolest. A couple of times during the evening, they would get phone calls, from Dad, I guess, and would say our mom was doing fine. Of course she was doing fine. She was always fine. Why wouldn't she? I truly had no clue as to how a baby arrived.

At about 9pm we were informed that it was a baby boy. We were thrilled! A boy! I looked forward to holding him, to caring for him, in the way that most preteen girls do.

The next morning I attended my Junior High behind the home of said friends. That day, I performed in a Christmas play in my speech and drama class. This was my third of six years of taking speech and drama, and it was my favorite class of all. I remember we had written a silly version of Clements' "Twas the Night Before Christmas." Mother would typically be seated in the same area of the auditorium whenever I performed and on this day, she was not there. I remember feeling all un-centered about that.

Following the play, our principal Mr. Knight took the stage. He was a huge man -- the kind whose belly precedes him into the room by a full minute. He love to orate! Pontificate! He spoke slowly and with great deliberation. He thanked us for our play and made comments that my mother had just had a new baby.

The day was a flurry of congratulations over having a new brother. I could not wait to see him. He was so loved before I ever even met him.

No comments: