Thursday, April 5

#41 Little Town

When I moved to Salisbury in 1991, it was a very small town. We ran to the grocery store at 9:15 the night we moved here and a lone boy was sweeping the sidewalk outside. All the lights were off.
"You're CLOSED?" I said, refusing to believe the painfully obvious. "Yes, ma'am, it's after 9:00." He was so polite. "OK, so where is the nearest 24-hour store?" I demanded. He just looked at me as if I were from outer space. I don't even recall if he answered me.

So now I have lived here 27 years. Many things have happened in Salisbury in the interim.

The most noteworthy thing, IMHO, is that now there are things to do here. Plenty.

Back in the day, the non-profits called one another to check if a certain day was taken before planning an event. They cooperated. So you might attend a play one weekend and the symphony another.

Those days are long gone. Why? you might ask. It sounded like a good process.

Now we have OPTIONS. If the play doesn't appeal to you, you can go to the symphony instead. Or to a more avant garde play. Or to an open mike at a coffee shop. Or hear a lecture at the Center for the Environment, or music at the library.

We've gotten chain restaurants that everyone wanted and have just about every amenity we need -- with the famous exceptions of a Target or a Whole Foods -- but to me, just my own opinion, the wealth of things to do in this town is the best leap forward of all.

#LoveMyLife

No comments: