Friday, January 14

Almost 50

Once you reach a certain age, you develop rules for your life -- they don't apply to anyone else, but they are guidelines with which you've developed a certain comfort level after living with yourself for a while. Well, that's how it goes for me, anyway.
Here is a sample of my rules for living.
1. I only shave my legs during Daylight Savings Time.
The winter months are colder and the thermal effect from NOT shaving keeps me warmer. Also, my legs are not as exposed in the winter as they are in the summer.
2. I don't eat sugar products during January.
My New Years' Resolutions are still bright, crisp and full of promise.
3. I take vitamins in January.
See #2.
4. I don't apologize for sending Thank You notes a month later.
Nobody sends Thank You notes anymore. I figure the recipient will just be glad to get one at all. Heck, I (finally) got it done, didn't I?
5. I'm perfectly comfortable sending Christmas cards in early January.
Somewhat related to #4,
6. When friends share their problems, I don't have to have an opinion or come up with a solution.
They really just want somebody to listen, and it's so much simpler not to have an opinion about everything. A relief, really.
7. Guests help clean up after dinner.
--Unless it's a really dress up affair, and we don't have really dress up affairs anymore. Helping in the kitchen makes people feel welcome and more at home.

Well, that's the list for now, have to scoot. More later.

No comments: