Sunday, January 9

Eating Crow

Didja ever meet someone who ab-so-loot-ly rubbed you the wrong way? I did, several years ago. She was domineering, opinionated, brazen, and self-important. I couldn't stand her. I thought there was something wrong with her -- that she had serious character flaws.
Turns out, once again, I was wrong. Really wrong. I believe, in some perverse way,
she
is
me.
Funny how, when you see yourself in a mirror, you think, "Nah, couldn't be me."
Wrong.
Add a few years, and some serious introspection on my part, (and, I should add, she's grown too,) and suddenly, the other person is okay. We get along. Matter of fact, I actually like her.
What changed in the few years? Did her serious imperfections mysteriously go away?
Not sure about this, but I believe my coming to peace with myself, has allowed me to accept other people. This is too complicated for me to communicate effectively; heck, maybe I don't really understand it myself. The other person hasn't changed, and basically, I'm still the same opinionated person myself.
There really is a plus to this aging thing -- I guess I've mellowed. :)

No comments: