Thursday, September 29

Stories

DIL1 posted a comment earlier today asking if I have other stories lined up. I decided to blog about the stories I've done and those I am doing.

I have only been free-lancing since about July. The first story was about the cherry orchard in the mountains. It's owned and run by a couple I admire who have written several books about living simply. I had already read their books when the opportunity to free-lance came along. The editor who asked me if I wanted to free-lance had mentioned that day-trips would be good articles to write in the summer. So when I asked about the cherry orchard, she readily approved it.

In August, she suggested that I do a "home and garden" story about my next-door neighbors. They renovated a house a block down the street, then moved next door and started over. In her words, "They must love it." It was easy enough to research and write, being just next door, but the pressure of writing about friends/neighbors is horrific. I read and re-read my copy before sending it in to see if any little thing could be misread and thus hurt their feelings. I personally think they've done a great job on their house but sometimes print can be misread.

Also around that time, DH suggested I do an article on the streetcar that used to come through our neighborhood. We know several 80 to 90-year-olds who remember riding on it. One of our neighbors' father was a streetcar and he still has his dad's money-changer, the little chrome device that hung from his belt so he could readily give back nickels, dimes and quarters.

To do that article, I met with seven 80-to-90-year-olds at the library in a meeting room. I cannot count the times I had to say, "Back to the streetcar..." They really need to get together once in a while. They loved seeing each other again, and recounted many, many stories. "That boy was so good-looking, and he was a good kisser, too." "I never liked him. His chicken used to chase me every time I came down the street." "....Getting back to the streetcars...."

I am working on two articles right now, the garbage thing and a story on NCSSM, the North Carolina School of Science and Math. It is a residential school for high school juniors and seniors who excel in, oddly enough, science and math. They are accepted by invitation only, after applying, taking tests and rigorous interviews. Interviewed parents of one of our town's students this week, and will travel to the school next week.

I'm on deadline for the garbage thing -- it will print in Sunday's paper. The NCSSM thing is out there as I don't even go to the school til next week.

I have not come up with any more ideas for stories. I always despair that I'll never have another idea, and then at the unlikeliest moment, one comes along. How about a story on bloggers.........

No comments: