Monday, October 24

More on NCSSM



The story ran today on the School of Science & Math. For the first time since I have been writing for the paper, the story is not available on the website. That's a shame as the kids are all out of town and I had emailed them directions as to how to access the story online.

I was interrupted several days ago when I was describing the school. Of the 6 local students, I got to meet with 4, and I could not have asked for more articulate, polite, and bright kids to work with.

Annie, a senior, is an artist, loves Japanese, and has a free spirit -- you can feel it. Her heart is on her face and she was easy to like -- immediately. Her load at school -- get this -- consists of Intermediate Japanese; Genetics, AP Calculus; AP Statistics; acrylic painting, Asia I and Microeconomics. Gee, now that I think of it, she must not be as laid back as she seems, to be doing ok in all that stuff.

Kellie, a junior, does seem a little bit driven. When I asked her if she were OCD, she smiled and said, "We ALL are." Her sense of humor is great and she hopes to become a neonatalogist.

I felt as if I got to know Brian best of all because I met his parents, and thus kind of knew him before I met him. Brian takes his being there really seriously. He and his parents are great folks and all of them made me feel quite at home.

Taylor is a little bit like me. He enjoys everything and is involved in 'way too much...just like me. It's a character flaw I've been struggling with for about 30 years, BUT I will say this: people like us have the most fun; we are exposed to more experiences; and can write more diverse things, because we have tried so many things rather that being focused on only one thing all the time. Taylor plays IM sports, is on Student Council, is into Art, and is in several clubs. All this in addition to taking a load of subjects at the toughest school in the state.

Unfortunately, I did not get to meet Alison or Britany personally as their schedules did not permit an interview on the day I visited. Both girls sent me good emails that allowed me to write about them as if I had gotten to meet them.

In case anyone thinks this is the Geek School of the Earth, check out the gallery section at www.ncssm.edu, and visit the art section. These kids create. They are in an environment that encourages them to create, think, and be all they can be. They are not wasting a minute on video games, TV, or any of the other crap we indulge in and waste our brain cells.

I am proud to have met them and I appreciate all their help in getting a good article out.

Here is 1 more of Taylor's photos:
He sent me one more but I am having technical trouble with it. There are 2 others in the earlier post about NCSSM.

No comments: