Sunday, October 9

Success today

It's been four weeks since The Accident. DH has diligently worked on his PT and works his injured finger constantly. Already, his progress has amazed his therapists and surgeon.

When The Accident happened, it seemed he would never be able to play again. The damage, exposed bone, his hand was cut completely open -- it was inconceivable to me that he could ever play again like he had before.

In an earlier blog, I chronicled the day he slipped upstairs to see if he could do it, and came down the stairs, proudly playing.

Today was another milestone in the progress. He played lead guitar at church, even playing a solo on his Strat. The entire congregation was smiling ear-to-ear, except me. I was crying and crying. Had to step out afterwards to mop up my poor old wet face.

* * * * * * * * * * * * *

In another bit of excitement, we had LOST KEYS before church. DH had left early to set up and practice. He specifically asked me to get there a little early so I could catch a seat near the musicians. (Seats fill up quickly in this new service.) I had gladly agreed, and then...we could not find the keys to my car.

I typically put my keys in the same place all the time. I felt DH had probably picked them up by accident, but he had not taken his cell phone with him, and usually no one answers the phone at church on Sundays; the office is locked up.

Finally, we were reaching a point in time where we had to take action if we were going to get there in time for a good seat. "Go get the bikes," I told Little One. "I'll change clothes." Thrilled, she ran to the basement and got out the bikes. I changed out of the dress and into pants.

It's only a mile-and-a-half, but uphill most of the way. I was damp and breathless upon arrival. So by the time I broke out in tears, I was pretty damp all over.

About halfway through the service, DH reached into his pocket and abashedly pulled my car keys out.

I shared this tale with a GF who is in my Sunday School class as we made coffee in the nanosecond betw church and SS. "HE OWES YOU BIG TIME!!" she proclaimed. Conveniently, DH walked into the kitchen about that time. "You OWE her!!" she squealed. "You take this girl out to dinner Monday night, and Tuesday night, and Wednesday night..." she counted off on her fingers. "By the end of the week, you might be about paid up." With that, she flipped her blonde hair over her shoulder, and pranced out of the kitchen. "Thanks!" I called out behind her.

No comments: