Friday, November 14

An Illustrated Life



I have almost always journaled. When I was a kid I routinely journaled in the recognizable black-and-white speckled lined books. I saved all these journals as well as my filled-to-overflowing scrapbooks into my adult life. When the kids and I lived in Virginia, our town experienced a 100-year flood and our basement was filled. Alas, my journals and scrapbooks were all a sodden mess. The lovely little dolls my father brought from his travels were lost as well.
The loss of all my journals broke my heart and set my journaling backwards for several years.
Nowadays I journal on paper as well as online. And, yes, they are different.
I am intrigued by the need to journal. Some folks have it -- some don't.
I had a gf one time who was horrified when her brother read the journals of their deceased mother.
My journals are intended to be read. If I sound grumpy, then, hey, it was a grumpy day. I don't have any hidden mass-murder plans in there or any hate vendettas. I am a basically happy person and I would think the journals probably reflect that. Yes, there are situations in my life that I am frustrated with. They're in there, but then, if you are my family, you already know about them, anyway.
I love to see folks journaling in coffee houses. I sometimes take the time to do it, myself. Unfortunately the coffee houses in our town don't afford a cosy corner or overstuffed chair, my favorite settings for journaling.
The film is from Danny Gregory, a fellow in NYC who draws and journals. I have written about him before. Can't wait for the book!

No comments: