Tuesday, November 4

Looks Like

It's early: 11:40 Eastern Time. They are calling it Obama. McCain just acceded the race to Obama.

Call me skeptical. I want Obama to win. I really do. I was not alive when Truman won, but I did see the photo in the history book of Truman holding the newspaper that proclaimed, Dewey Wins! As the child of a newsman, it made an impact. So I'm not taking anything for granted.

IF this is true. If it can be. IF some crazy person doesn't do something really, really stupid, I will be so happy.

btw, did you see the film of Jesse Jackson crying? Tears streaming down his face. Not a trickle. A stream.

I'm not black. I cannot say I truly understand how he -- and many black Americans -- feel.

I can only say I have hope for America for the first time in a long, long, time.

We are flying our flag tomorrow for the first time in eight long years.

:)

2 comments:

Jack and Susie said...

I am a blog follower via Jackie's blog. Thank you for your insights and allowing the public to view it.

I am so glad to hear that you will be flying the great American flag. Though the election wasn't the outcome I hoped for, I will continue to fly our American flag regardless of who our Commander in Chief will be in January. Though I may be disappointed in Americans at times, I am always proud to be an American myself.

Blessings to you,
Susan

Maggie's Attic said...

Susan,
First of all, thank you for following my blog. I realize our viewpoints may often be divergent, and I appreciate your open-mindedness to continue to read me.
As to the flag thing, of course you are proud to be an American. I am...hmm. I am thankful to be an American. I have been disappointed, ashamed, and finally, angry of our actions as a nation in recent years, and withholding my flag has been my own way to register that disapproval. Has anyone driven down the street and said, "Hmm, the Attic family doesn't seem to fly their flag anymore" ..? I doubt it. So, yes, my gesture has been somewhat impotent, but it has been my gesture nonetheless. I knew I was doing it, and I felt the need to do something.
All this does is just prove that we all look at things differently, which is a good thing.
Once again, thank you for your comment, and I hope your precious girls are doing well.
Best regards,
Maggie's Attic