Tuesday, February 3

Double Vision

I am totally fried from working all day on spreadsheets detailing performance of our school system on End of Grade testing last year. End of Grade testing is our state's way of measuring if our students learned, and how much. It's one component of No Child Left Behind. It is my fondest hope that we can all Leave No Child Left Behind, Behind. I like to call it W's Folly.

The data was just released by the State: school by school, system-wide, and state-wide.

I entered data from each of our schools, comparing performance to the year prior. Also each school compared to our school system altogether, and to the State.

Our school system did not fare too well, but is making tiny steps of progress.

In-between studying all the data and posting it to spreadsheets, I was busy preparing Chocolate Lava Cakes for the Food Page in the local paper. The photographer came at 2pm and took pictures.

Girlfriends came at 7pm and had wine and chocolate. We gabbed for an hour and a half, and they headed home. DH was working nights but had thoughtfully laid a fire with a piece of newspaper prominently sticking out so all I had to do was strike a match and light the edge of it.

Soon as the gfs left, I headed back to the computer to finish up the spreadsheets. Emailed them to our graphics guy at 10:50. ps. I got up at 5 this morning to print it all out and get ready for a long day. Newsroom this morning, LO checkup in afternoon, take her to tutoring at 6, head across town to a middle school to cover an addictions speaker, slip out at 7:30, pick her up at 8. whew. I am tired just thinking of it.

Then LO (yes, she was up, lots of homework) and I stretched out and watched "Peter and the Wolf" on the iPod. Great Performances on PBS. They sell the DVD for $29.95, but you can download the same thing on iTunes for $1.99.

Definitely worth a watch if you can get it. Amaaazing.

No comments: