Monday, February 9

Reality Check at 5 Weeks

Ok. So I have been reporting education for about a month now.

One reporter, a rather curmudgeon-y reporter, sauntered over to the desk where I work the other day, and growled, "So, ya sick of education beat yet?"

I looked up from my work and said, "Hey, in light of the economy, I'm happy for the work. I even feel that way when I type the crime blotter."

Her face assumed a look of total disgust. She gave a very short exhale through her teeth, sort of a "FTH!" and sauntered off.

I take it she did not care for my reply. She wanted negativity. She wanted me to complain, to whine.

Realizing that, I had to curb my enthusiasm.

But, between you and me, I love it.

Let's see what I've covered in 5 weeks.

  • 12 girl basketball players from the high school tutor at-risk kids for 3 months
  • the public library is giving books to parents and teaching them to read to their 4-year-olds
  • our school system receives its report card on No Child Left Behind
  • the first African American college in the US (6 blocks from our house) celebrates Founder's Day
  • the first woman governor of NC visits Founder's Day at said AA college (with a press conference!)
  • recent college graduate returns from Kenya
  • drug addiction counselor speaks to middle school parents
  • inauguration day at LO's middle school
  • western day at local elementary school
  • local high school gets 200 iPod touch devices for freshmen to study with
  • school board meetings
  • 12 dentists volunteer their time and materials to coat students' teeth with anti-decay material
  • 100 hispanic parents learn English in elementary school. Local diverse church tutors them.
and, my favorite one yet...

Next week I visit a kindergarten class to attend the wedding of Q and U.
After the ceremony, we will go outside and throw birdseed, then attend a reception.

I am trying to think of an appropriate wedding gift.

Hey, how on earth could I BE sick of this gig? It's fun. I am learning a lot. I am not some young kid fresh out of college lamenting the absence of The Big Story. It's work, it's steady, I still work for myself, and I get to talk to kids a lot. It's local, it's safe, and I work it around my personal schedule.

Sounds like a dream to me.

Sick of the education beat? Fth!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Still loving "Charlotte's Web", eh? Gracie does too. We have to read it regularly...but she doesn't cry as passionately as you did. Good quote! Beth

Jax and company said...

Dear granddaughter would like to note that Q and U stick together like glue, would that be an appropriate gift for the class, a supply of school glue?

Hi, My name is: Tim said...

I was thinking a quiche. But... if your intent is to throw a wrench in the system, I might be able to get my hands on some Qindar (Qat and Tranqs being frowned upon on school grounds), but I'm not sure how to get it to you in time. How about a QWERTY keyboard?