Saturday, March 3

#34 Saturdate

My fella and I had our regular Saturdate today. It always starts with his favorite, pancakes. Today we sat facing the boulevard remarking on the trucks that passed by. "Big truck!" "Blue truck!" and so on. Alas, we did not see any emergency vehicles, his favorite -- so after breakfast I drove to the fire station. We lingered on the edge of the parking lot, watching the firefighters perform safety checks on their trucks. After a few minutes they noticed us and invited A to sit in a fire truck.
I lifted him into the driver's seat and he froze. The diesel engine was running very loudly, and lights were flashing, and, it was either too loud for him, or too much, but he froze up. He did thank the firefighter and we went on our way.
I began to drive home when he asked if we could go play with trains.
There are two locations with public toy train tables -- the library and the book store.
I continued to drive home. When we crossed Main Street, he said, "That way!" and pointed to the left. The book store is, in fact, on Main Street, to the left, down two blocks.
I had missed my chance to turn so I continued on. He began making noise in the back seat to play with trains so I took a left and turned in to the library. Understanding this is another train location, he cheered from his car seat and we unloaded.
He spent a glorious two hours in the library playing with trains uninterrupted. When it got close to nap time I suggested we have a treasure hunt for books about trains. I, as always, headed for Watty Piper's "The Little Engine that Could." A disappeared just a minute and reappeared holding a Thomas the Train book.
We headed to Circulation and checked them out.
At the house, we lay down for a nap. A did not want me to read to him. He read one book, page by page. At the last page, he laid down the book, pulled a blanket over his head, and went to sleep.
I have never run into such a sweet and compliant child in my life.
#LoveMyLife

No comments: