Monday, August 8

Insomnia

The really crummy thing about insomnia is that you reach a point where all you can think about is getting a little sleep. I get teased in Sunday School about sending emails with a time stamp of 3am; I can deal with that. I do all kinds of weird crap (for the middle of the night, anyway,) such as painting bookcases or polishing silver at 1am, or 2 or 3 or 4. Normal, handy stuff, too, such as paying bills or writing people notes. Did you know you can still write notes with a pen and paper? It's becoming a lost art, relegated to those of us who can still remember when the postman came in the morning and came back in the afternoon. Those of us can remember NOT having Zip Codes. Guess I'm an oldie. I just still have to think it's a minor thrill to get a real note in the mail. 'Gee, something that's really for me.' BTW, doesn't it just chap your butt to get an envelope in the mail that says, "Urgent -- do not discard" and it's yet ANOTHER credit card offer? Cheese.
All this said and done, being up all night, regardless of the handy tasks that can be accomplished, is NOT all it's cracked up to be. I. Just. Crave. Sleep.
Took my neighbor for eye surgery a week or two ago. He asked me to drop him off and then come back to pick him up. Wouldn't do that to a dog. No, I'll wait and be sure if something goes south, there's someone here who cares and will call your family for you. So. I filled a "play bag" just as for a child on a trip. Some magazines, crafts, and notes for a story I'm working on. Stayed quite busy for the first 45 minutes, and finally, dropped off to sleep. Probably drooled; I usually do. The office ladies very gently woke me and made some remark about having sleep apnea, being able to sleep about anywhere, and I had to explain I have the opposite -- CAN'T sleep anywhere, and sooner or later, usually later, it catches up with me and I fall asleep, standing up or sitting down, my body just can't stay awake anymore. And, ps, couldn't you just let me go? I really needed it...
I will confess that the hours like this, when the fam are all asleep and my only companions are the loyal pets, are so peaceful. The entire house is quiet. No TV, no radio, no walkman or Gameboy, no doors slamming or drills whirring or air compressors clanging. Just a lazy ceiling fan and the ever-present drone of the pc. Makes it easier to write, and how convenient that I actually get to write now, for cash-ola, instead of for the fun of it.
On another note, my ever-faithful DH has been trolling online listings for a vintage stove for me. He knows the exact model I crave, the one that has a periscope down to the oven so that you can actually see a reflection of your food in the oven, in the mirror on the stove's console. How ingenious. He has been searching for months now, and found one in another town. Wrote the guy a beautiful letter explaining why we want it and how much we can afford, certainly not the $6,500 it would take to get one from the vintage folks online. Well, the guy called tonight and he will contact shipping co's tomorrow to see if it can be shipped within our ballpark. Hate to pray about an electrical appliance, but, hey. If you know me, put in a word to the Big Guy about it for me, too, okay? I truly don't usually ask for much...
Well, I am slipping off to bed. With a little luck I can lie there, breathe slowly, in, out, in, out, and...
Good night.

1 comment:

Sugar said...

I had the same problem with sleep. Used to retire for the night at nine thirty, but constantly waking at 2 am and could not go back to sleep til' 4 am. Which left me only an hour til time to wake up & go to work. So bedtime was put off to 10 or 10:30 pm and it seems to work.