Friday, August 26

Park Plans

Wow. Yesterday was a huge day. Little One's first day back at school. Morning routine, etc, got to school early. That's a good thing. She is sooo Type Z. "Whatever." Last year I had to go to the principal's office because she had 10 tardies. When you're in the car, motor running, and she's still in the house, redoing her hair again, what can you do? When I complained that I had been called to see the principal, her reply was, "I'm just a person who takes my time. People just need to learn to deal with it." So. You see, getting to school early was a huge deal. (This morning went well, too.)
Back to yesterday. After dropping her off, I headed downtown to meet with the Director of Parks & Rec. Plans for our neighborhood were ready!! DPR is a pretty laid-back person. Not this day. She was as excited as I was over them. Apparently the Park Planning firm she uses had just done a study on Frederick Law Olmstead (think Biltmore and Central Park). When she laid out that we were planning a Centennial Park, the neighborhood is turning 100 next year, their eyes lit up. That's just when Olmstead did his parks. They were excited to apply his principals: symmetry, formal layout with lots of nature.

It. Is. Gorgeous.

Round areas. One here, one there, to balance it. Sidewalks edged with pavers. Trellis gateway. Fencing made of brick pillars with period-style metal fencing between.

Wow.



We will sell the pavers, stamped with whatever you want to say, for $100 each. The proceeds will pay for the sidewalk.

Finally, last night, I presented the plans to the Board. Did not blog it, but last time we met, I was confronted by ... I guess I'll call her "She Who Must Not be Named." Vitriolic. Fire-breathing. She had been in my home just 3 days prior but had not mentioned a single concern. Laid in wait to attack at Board Meeting. "What will you do when you discover the whole neighborhood does not want a Park?" etc, etc. (The neighborhood wants a park.)

Understandably I was a little apprehensive about last night's meeting. Well, it went okay. One down. Tomorrow, I present it to a small group of neighbors who live near the site. Then, Tuesday night, large neighborhood-wide meeting and vote: Do We Want a Park?

It's not a case of do we want to receive a park from the City. It will be a public-private partnership with the City. We will raise the crux of the money for it. We will do much of the work to maintain it. But, in the end, we'll have a park.

I first had thoughts to develop a park last winter. Walking the dog, I observed how many houses are owned by 70, 80, 90-year-old people. Those houses will come up for sale here in the not-too-distant future. If investors buy them to rent, my own house goes down in value. But if young families with children want to buy them, to keep improving them, then the neighborhood stays young, thriving. Walked and walked, looking for a place. There just aren't a lot of vacant lots in a 100-year-old neighborhood.

Kept coming back to the lot we call "The Pit." Finally, on a cold and grey day in March, I logged on to the county website's GIS screens to see who owns The Pit. Duh. The City owns it.

At that point, things began to happen very quickly. Emailed a councilman and pitched my idea. He said he'd get back to me. --An hour later, he did. By the end of the week, we were walking the site with the DPR. She loved it. He loved it. Called the Director of Environmental Studies at the local college. He loved it. Talked it up with neighbors. Folks said, I'll give money, I'll give planting materials. I'll do labor and bring some of my buddies. It was overwhelming how well everything fell into place.

Now it's time for the sell job. I really believe this was meant to happen, that things would not have gone so well to now if it were not. sigh. Smile and cross my fingers!

btw, already sold 2 pavers, in less than a day. :)

No comments: