Sunday, July 20

Back to Camp

LO and I had a lovely morning getting ready for her return to camp. Idle chatter revealed how woefully behind the times I really am. I don't mind, really; I should be behind the times. It's age-appropriate. I am at this unfortunate age where I learn a word that is in, and just as I'm getting used to saying it, it's out and I totally embarrass her. So I have dropped the whole effort. Now I just use words from the dictionary.

You, however, might not be a Nana, so here are a few words I learned:

sozzum. Use this term for anything that is very cool. Contraction for "that's so awesome." Awesome is out. Sozzum is in.

smarticle. LO heard this word and took it as her own. As in, "I'm so smarticle." She thinks this is a hoot, as anyone who thinks 'smarticle' is a word, isn't very smarticle at all.

Yah. This is the new 'yeah,' but it's used as a stamp of approval, not as a reply to a question. I say something with which you agree, you let out a "yah."

Shah. Closely related to 'yah.' Originally used as, 'sure.' Now it's 'shah.'

She gave me a hand pulling weeds -- not really weeds, but mint, out of the front garden. I keep just a bit for filler and aroma, but it tends to take over, so every week or so, we have a mint-pull. As we walked away, she said a flea had bitten her. "Fleas look so harmless. They are so tiny. You'd never imagine they are in for your blood. And mosquitoes. Wow. They are so graceful, so airy, they look like this harmless insect, like the ballerinas of the insect world, and they are just blood-thirsty creatures. You'd never know."

She keeps me smiling. . . um, most of the time.

No comments: