Friday, November 3

#1. Returning to Normal. If we can remember what Normal is.

I have not posted to my dear Blog in over seven years. Is this a sign? Are there other things in my life I've neglected for seven years?
With only 31 days left of public service, I've begun transitioning to normal life. With intention.
I've written letters to the people who helped me make public service successful. The street hole guy. The Fire Chief. The City Clerk. Lots of friends who held fundraisers, pulled up campaign signs, that kind of thing.
I've planned a retreat for the week after I "step down." A week by myself in my favorite city. A couple of private art classes. Yoga. Art galleries, long walks, weather permitting.
I've attended the last meetings of my boards & commissions. They had cake. Little gifts.
So.... deep breath. It's happening. This whirlwind life, being "on," being available to the public, is coming to an end. Soon.
After eight years, it has become my normal.
But--
It's not normal.
Normal is normal.
Privacy. Not being approached in public places about problems. Not getting texts or voice mails when someone is shot or killed. Going to market without pearls on.
Will I miss it? Certainly.
But it's soon over. And I have surely missed normal.
So this blog, this dormant blog, is about to fire up.
In a nice way.
Someone I admire has blogged every day for years, at the end of each day -- about something she is grateful for. Not political rants. Not whining or wishing. Just gratitude.
This is what I hope to do. Because, even at my age, I aspire to be a better person.
Don't we all?

No comments: