Friday, November 3

#2 Sanity

As I get older, I find that sanity is a highly underrated commodity. We don't say thanks for it when we say Grace. We don't acknowledge it when we see it. It's a lot like a clean house: we only notice it when it's NOT there.
My life is much like yours, jammed to bursting with work and friends and family and a zillion meetings where action is sometimes taken, but more often just talked about. In-between, I struggle to accomplish the mundane but necessary tasks: checkups for me and the family with doctor, dentist, and eye physician. Calendars. Carpools. Laundry. Pet care. Litter boxes. Unload the dishwasher. Eat. Load and run. Repeat.
In-between those, comes self-care: showers, hair, makeup, caring for contacts, reading, philosophizing, mani's and pedi's.
I find the older I get, the more I need to take a few moments every day for quiet. No surfing. No reading. Not even a quiet little podcast. Quiet, calm, and still. Four measly minutes a day.
Ah, sanity.

No comments: