Thursday, November 9

#6 Two Goodbyes

A dear sweet 94-yo man passed away this weekend, and his funeral was today. Clyde Young was a member of the Civitan Club of Salisbury for seventy years. Yes, you read that correctly. He joined the club in 1947.
Thirty of us Civitans  crowded in the front rows of the church for his service. Women and men, most of us past a certain age, all dressed up and paying homage to a kind man who just loved to play his trumpet.
He was a pediatric dentist so early that dentistry barely knew what that was. He served in the Navy in WWII. He was a kind man and a good dad.
Me, I'm not too sure about the Great Beyond. Luckily I can't sing so I didn't have to make professions I don't believe. But I try to get what I can out of every experience and today's message was the simplest of all: Life is a gift. Try to share your gift with as many as you can.

I dashed from the 11:00 funeral to the 12:00 Transit Board meeting: my last as Council liaison. To my surprise, they had a nice little luncheon and cake (my favorite vegetable!) in my honor. One member had written a letter and stood to read it to me. The Director gave a little message about me, too, and presented me with a gift: 100 bus passes for our annual Christmas giveaway at the homeless shelter.

I left feeling very loved and appreciated. Life is a gift.

No comments: