Saturday, February 2

Irony of all Ironies

My DS1 called yesterday and we had a delightful chat. I love to hear about his life in NYC, his babies, and his beautiful wife. He was remarking on the cost of living in NYC and mentioned costs at WalMart are even higher there than in other geographic areas.
I replied that I have finally, finally QUIT going to Wally world after years of being torn between my ethical responsibility and my allegiance to the family budget. I googled "The High Cost of Low Prices" in the fall and watched the movie online.
I had read the reviews of the book 3 years ago or so, and was horrified to learn about the fecal matter in the dense salmon "farms" where they get their fish. I already had an idea of the closure of small family-owned businesses due to the Monster.
Yet watching the film made me determined NOT to support this monster. It was compelling to see how many hard-working, undereducated people have to rely on Medicaid for their health insurance because WM pays them so little and charges so much for the health benefits. In effect, we, the taxpayers, are paying WalMart's employees' health insurance. Not just a few folks -- it's in the thousands in each state.
It was compelling to see and hear the fellow who was hired to ensure that safe and healthy employment practices are being honored in the 3rd world factories where WM buys all its textile products. When he reported non-compliance, his reports were ignored. Naively thinking there was a lapse in communication, he persisted until he was ultimately fired.
It was compelling to see the Machine at work when hourly employees attempt to unionize.
It was compelling to hear the story of the enterprising young black woman who applied for a promotion and was overlooked in favor of a lesser-qualified white male. When she asked her supervisor if she had been denied the promotion because she was female, or because she was black, he replied, "Well 2 out of 2 ain't bad."
So I have not been back. Yes, they are cheap. But I despise them, their exploitation of the poor who have few alternatives but to work there, and their disregard for What is Right.

Here is the irony. Little One came home victorious from school yesterday. She got an actual, physical, prize for having won 2nd place in the Science Fair.

A $10 gift card to WalMart.

No comments: