Monday, February 4

Memories

My dear sweet MIL emailed this to us today with this message:


Don't want to diminish Little One's outstanding accomplishment, just want to
document the importance of environment.



Well. The signature on the certificate is Miss Lois Smith, and DH began a journey down Memory Lane.

Miss Lois wore me out in the 8th grade. I sat on the front row, facing the chalkboard and Jan Bigham had a triangle cloth on her head. (I asked DH if it was a bubushka, and he said, "Yeah, probably.")

I put it on my head with that triangle pointing straight up. Like a cone. Miss Lois looked at me and said, "That's it." She gimme a paddling right there in front of the class. I remember her paddle -- it was smooth. I bent over and pow-pow-pow I counted them out as she gave them. Fifteen whacks. When she was done I just sat down and we had class.

And I remember one day we were in lunch line. Jack Collins was cutting up bad. Jack always was a cutup. Well, he was cutting up really bad and Miss Lois pulled him out of line and paddled him right then and there. What she didn't know was he had some Fire Chiefs in his back pocket. Well, his butt started smoking bad and Jack was hopping around, trying to get those Fire Chiefs out of his pocket. Miss Lois stood there with Miss Billie Grizzle, laughing.

No comments: