Thursday, February 28

RANT

We all have heard the occasional news of the random guy who goes into some office building and fires shots at innocent people. It's horrifying.

In light of my experience today, I am very surprised that it doesn't happen more often.

Eleven days ago, I decided to call AT&T for pricing on our DSL, TV, and home phone. I had heard good things about them from a gf who regularly reads this blog.

Their pricing was better. Not a bunch, but some. We would receive a refund. Not as much as they extolled, after startup fees were considered, but in excess of $100. I got lots of the startup fees waived, but the cost of the modem seems to be non-negotiable.

I signed up.

When DH got home, he was against the move. He didn't want our email address to change again. (It just changed 20 months ago after 9 years of having had the same address.) He didn't like the way the cable from Directv hung from the satellite dish to the point of entry to the house. He didn't think the savings was enough to justify a change. Sigh.

So I immediately called and emailed the sales rep from AT&T to cancel the order. The following day, I got a voice message to call 2 additional 866 numbers to cancel all the components of the order. Did it -- right away.

On Friday the DirecTV guy came to install. Told him it was cancelled.

On Monday the AT&T guy came to install phone. Told him it was cancelled. Asked if my phone number would go into Neverland? He pulled it up and said it was fine.

Yesterday I got the new modem in the mail to connect new DSL.

Today my phone is not working. Anyone who calls gets, "Sorry this number is no longer in service."

I have been on the phone for 1 hour, 45 minutes, total of 7 phone calls. This does not include the transfers to different departments. It does include the cheesy, shrill hold music, the 'press 1 if you speak English, the 'please hold while I look up your number.'

They CAN'T look up the number because neither company owns it at the moment.

Oh, and the time taken with entering my phone number, press 2 for customer support, and on and on. Ironically enough, I managed the second installation of one of these systems in the nation, back in the 80's-- they are called VRU's, and I used to travel to conferences and give speeches on how to install them and what to think of for the sake of the customer. Irony always bites me in the butt.

AT&T says Time Warner still has our number. Time Warner says they have let it go. AT&T says Time Warner doesn't know anything; call them back and tell them to look in the national number database.

I finally said I am ready to stop the madness. "No," I said. "I will not call Time Warner back. I can't call anyone anymore. YOUR company did not cancel the order. I want YOU to 3-way Time Warner into this call so we can all communicate at once."

Silence.

(soft voice) "When you call them, Mrs. Blackwell, tell them..."

(voice cracking with attempted control) "I don't think you understood me. I will not call anyone back. I want to speak to someone who will hold a 3-way call so this can be settled."

"Mrs. Blackwell, I cannot do that."

"I would like to speak to your manager."

pause.

"You want to speak to my manager?"

"Yes. I have made 7 phone calls to settle this. I can't make another one. I want to speak to a manager."

Puts me on hold. Politely. Returns.

"I am so sorry both of my managers are on break."

(fuming)

"May I have my manager call you back?"

"Yes."

"Is this the correct number for her to call: xxx.xxx.xxxx?"

Sigh.

"No. That number is in Neverland at the moment. If she calls that number she will get a message that sounds like we did not pay our bill. Please have her call my cell number."

It has been 20 minutes and the manager, needless to say, has not called me back.

No comments: