Sunday, June 15

Grocery on the Bike


Well, it seemed to make perfect sense. We, (meaning, we ALL) need to save gas. I need more exercise. Our favorite market is only about 5 blocks away.

I had committed earlier this year NOT to drive to the neighborhood pool, which is about 5 blocks away. I've been riding my bike and it's worked out fine, except that LO is now way too cool to ride a bike, so she walks. In an effort to be "together" and not just leave her behind, I bicycle down the block, circle around, pass her and go back to the start of the block, then by the time I get to the corner, she has about reached it. This creates twice the exercise for me, which is not a bad thing.

As I type this, it occurs to me perhaps I should just say, "Bye," and leave her in my dust. Maybe the bike would appeal to her. But for now, "The helmet makes me look like I have a big head."

The pool thing has been so nice I began considering biking to the grocery. I didn't even have a luggage rack, though, so I began cruising eBay to see what I could see.

I finally settled on a bike rack that has two detachable grocery bags. It arrived while we were on vac and I was anxious to give it a try.

The theory is that the Europeans walk or drive to the marketplace every day and get the food for a day -- why not us? If I reach a point where I need a great quantity, or very large items, detergent for example, I can always drive. But for now I am going to try to get a day at a time on the bike.

DH installed the rack today despite its being Fathers' Day. I have learned to let him do what he wants to do, even if it is work, as he seems to truly enjoy being handy.

DH and LO were deeply into a movie when I finally left. Had my cell phone, grocery discount card, money, and my handy bags. I set off.

It's downhill all the way to the market, which of course means it's uphill all the way home, fully loaded. On the way TO the store, I proceed down our street, turn right, cross one street, go through a strip mall parking lot, (the strip mall is largely unoccupied) and through the YMCA parking lot. Then I am at the store.

Upon arriving, I locked my bike to the footrails around the grocery cart area, just inside the doors to the store. These footrails keep the carts from banging up the walls. I felt more comfortable having the bike inside, thinking someone would be less likely to steal it inside. An employee was straightening up and I asked her if she thought this would be okay, and she blessed it. So I put the bags and my helmet in the buggy and shopped.

This virgin run, as it were, was a true test, as we had just returned from vacation and needed milk.
So I hunted and gathered, loading my purchases in the bag as I selected them, to be sure I didn't buy more than I could carry home. My goal was to buy just enough for one bag to balance the milk in the other bag.

We needed fruit. Blueberries were 2 for the price of one, and I got other fruit. Got the milk, checked out.

On the way to the store, I drove over four speed bumps with no repercussions. Going home, I though nothing of that first speed bump in the parking lot of the YMCA. (Fortunately the Y was not yet open, Sunday hours.)

One of my grocery bags jumped off the luggage rack and spilled onto the pavement.

So I parked the bike and assessed the damage. Grapes were lying on the pavement but unbroken. Blueberries were running for freedom. My box of tofu was burst and water began to leak.

Having gotten the berries 2 for 1, I left them where they ran. Gathered up the grapes. Took my portobello out of his plastic bag and used it to wrap the tofu box. Loaded everything back up, re-hooked the bag, and (cautiously) proceeded. I navigated each speed bump either by going in the storm gutter or slowly creeping over the bump.

The rest of the trip was uneventful. I chalked it up to a learning experience and all I lost was a (free) box of blueberries.

I'm undaunted and look forward to going again, this time to buy less and go a bit slower.

No comments: