Monday, June 23

Karma Restored

Court time was 9am. I sat through wife beaters, arsonists, shoplifters, bank robbers, identity thieves, credit card thieves, stalkers, drug-possessors, manufacturers and paraphernalia possessors. In addition to the 200 people squeezed in the courtroom, they brought in probably 18 shackled people from the county jail, and video-conferenced 7 or 8 people who were detained elsewhere. I learned that not showing up for court is a big deal. The no-shows were ordered for a warrant for arrest and fines ranging from $200 to $2,500.
I was probably the first non-felon seen -- at 12:30. The DA said she had a note that I planned to ask for prayer for judgment. I said yes. She asked if I had the state copy of my driving record. I gave it to her. She passed it to the judge. He reviewed it for several moments, looked up, and said,
"ABSOLUTELY. Prayer for judgment granted. Next case."
What does this mean? I pay $120 in court costs, no attorney fees, no fines, retain my clean driving record (with a note that they forgave one speeding ticket) and my insurance rates do NOT go up. It's the best option I had out there.
And,
I got my Karma back.

No comments: