Monday, June 23

Paying My Dues

It's a long story about going to pay court costs. I will try to abbreviate it, but it's just too good NOT to share.
"Honey, I am going to pay my court costs; I have to run by the bank first and get cash."
"Oh, they take checks."
"...You sure?"
"Definitely. They take checks."

Well, you can guess what happened. Parked 2 blocks from the courthouse and walked (in heels, my own fault) to the courthouse. Remembered to leave cell phone in car, not allowed as it has a camera. Also remembered to have DH take my Swiss Army knife off the keyring, also not allowed. I have donated a zillion of 'em to the airports and got tired of replacing them. Mine is only about 2" long but comes in handy so many, many times.
So I take off my charm bracelet and go through the scanner and ask directions for where to pay court costs. 'Way across huge building. Of course.
Very tired ladies peering through tempered-glass windows for payments. Prominent signs: NO CHECKS OR CREDIT CARDS.
Sigh.
Back outside, 2 blocks to car (ps, AC in car is non-functional. DH has ordered new compressor.) Drive to other side of tiny downtown to bank and get cash. Return to courthouse and cruise for parking. This time I am 2.5 blocks away. Walk in heels again, (I know, my fault) to courthouse, through security, over to cashiers.
"Where's your paper from court, Hon?"
I have no paper. The judge said, "Absolutely. Prayer for judgment granted," and they called the next case.
"Go over to that room, Hon. Ask if court is out yet. If it is, she can give you the paper. If it ain't, you have to go back into court and ask for your paper. I cain't take your money without the paper."
I go to said room. The lady advises me that court has not yet ended. She tells me to go in and ask for the paper; I may have to wait a while.
I whine.
I tell her I already sat in there for 4 hours this morning.
She looks at me and says, "I'll write your paper for you." Quickly she pulls out a form and fills it out.
"I hate to break any rules..." I halfheartedly say.
"Oh, no, it's fine." She hands me the paper.
I trot said paper back to the cashier.
"Did she just fill out this paper?" She asks incredulously.
"Yes."
"Is court out yet?"
"I don't know anything. I just know I need to pay this money and here is your paper."
"I can't take this paper. It might not be right. You have to go in to court and ask for your paper."
Sigh.
I walk back across the courthouse to the courtroom. The same judge, DA, and bailiffs are in there. I quietly tiptoe to the bailiff and mouth to him: "May I ask you a question?"
He nods.
I tell him I got a prayer for judgment and need the paper to pay my costs.
Meanwhile, the judge is quite distracted by my presence.
"Approach the bench, please ma'am."
I approach.
"You live on M______ Avenue."
Stunned, I just look at him and say, "Yes."
"I remember from your driving record. Why are you here?"
"Your Honor, you kindly granted me a Prayer for Judgment and I need to pay court costs..."
"Do you need more time to pay?"
"No, thank you sir, I need the paperwork."
Meanwhile, the bailiff has procured the paperwork and hands it to me.
The judge says, "There you go."
I take a moment and look at the judge directly. "Thank you for the prayer for judgment."
"You are most welcome. Your driving record is exemplary."
"Thank you."
I zoom out of the courtroom to pay the damned court costs. The cashier reluctantly completes her personal conversation with a coworker (the 3rd time I have imprudently interrupted her) and takes my $120.
"Keep the receipt. I don't trust computers."
All I can think of as I walk back to the car, 2.5 blocks, did I mention in heels? --My fault, I know. -- is, Exemplary.
He didn't even say "WAS exemplary." (Til I got the stupid ticket.)
It sort of made the crappy day better.
Yes.
Definitely.
Much better.

No comments: