Wednesday, August 27

Drought > Flash Flood > Drought > Flash Flood > Drought...

After months of extended drought, our area is once again experiencing extended, heavy rains.



I long for balance.



The ground is wet. The porch is wet. The basement is wet. Poor, poor little dog hasn't had a good walk in 2 or 3 days. It's been raining so hard we have just let her out for a quickie or run her to the corner and back. She looks at me with accusing eyes.



I pulled up today's hour-to-hour forecast for today on weather.com. Here is the image:

I recently wrote a story for the local paper. I don't think I'm supposed to tell exactly what it will be about, but it involves shots of people walking or biking to work. I worked hard with the photography dept to organize times and days so that they can catch the people actually commuting by foot. (Did you know papers don't stage shots? It's part of the photographers' ethics. They can take a formal portrait of the highly-esteemed banker in town, and if he has a doggone Diet Coke can in the middle of that expansive mahogany desk, they don't ask him to toss it. They shoot it as it lays.)

So of course this is the week when we scheduled to shoot the green commuters. Fortunately, after arranging all the dates and times, I forwarded the home phone numbers of the subjects to the photographer, in case of rain. Sigh.

No comments: