Sunday, August 3

Rites of Passage

The 13th birthday is quite an auspicious one. The new teen assumes a new air of confidence, a new level of responsibility, an assumption of maturity, and ... a loss of humor.

We were thrilled today to see Capri Sun on sale, 2 for 1. Our local grocery usually does this sometime in August, just in time for school. At this time I typically buy enough for the whole school year. We pack lunches and I keep a case of Capri Sun in the freezer. I pack a frozen one in LO's lunch in the morning, and by lunchtime it's a perfect slushy to accompany her lunch. The milk at school is "Gross" so this is what we do. (She drinks enough milk at home and, info from the ahem, Milk Council to the contrary, we don't actually need that much, anyway.)

We stocked up on it two years ago and were promptly busted at the register where we were told there was a limit of 4 boxes. No problem. We each bought 4 boxes that day and came back a few more times until we had our quota, not theirs. Today we carefully searched for any limit signs. Yea! There were none.

As we were loading the boxes into the trunk I noticed an ad on them for The Naked Brothers Band. I had at least heard the name before so I commented, "Cool. Nekkid Brothers Band."

"Nana," she tsked at me. "It's the NAYked Brothers Band."

"Oh, come one," I jollied her. "It's much more fun to say, 'nekkid.' "

(Rolling eyes,) "But they say, 'NAYked Brothers.' "

"Listen," I say, still teasing, "NAYked is like trees in the winter. Nekkid is pulling off your clothes and running around."

Double Whammy. I get the Sigh AND the Rolling Eyes.

Oops, it's a Triple Whammy. Her teeth are gritted just the teeniest bit. "It's NAYked Brothers, OKAY?"

I wait just a minute, smile and say, "okay."

No comments: