Thursday, March 13

Baby I Will Wait for You

Last year, Little One played piano for the school talent show.

The show is a big deal at the school. Kids have to have signed permission slips to audition for it. Those who are chosen stay after school every day for three weeks to practice. The EmCee position is a hotly contested spot, and kids vie for it. Last year it was shared by two girls.

After all this work, the hour-long variety show is shown to the student body at large in an assembly-type presentation, and that night the efforts culminate in a dress-up show for the community. It's a free event, but quite a night for these kids.

Last year, the acts included her piano piece and one other -- a highly gifted 8th grade boy who played Chopin with beauty, skill, and grace. LO played the theme from the Young & the Restless -- although she did not know at the time that that was what it was. To her, it was just a song in her piano book. I forget what the real name of the piece is. But to you and me, it's the theme to Y&R. Other acts were a girl playing the guitar, boys on skateboards doing tricks set to music from a CD, and several girl groups singing to CD's. A boy told original jokes, jokes on teachers, students, all in good fun. Nothing hurtful. That's all I remember from last year.

LO did fine. She did not practice except for the after-school sessions. At the evening performance, she missed a couple of notes and was quite upset about.

I wondered at the time if she would participate again.

Well, it's Talent Show time again. Two weeks ago, she asked me to find the sheet music to Elliot Yamin's song, Baby I will Wait for You. I googled it and found a service that will download it for printing for only a few dollars on your credit card. How cool! Much better than a drive to Nearby Large City's music stores, or a US Mail transaction.

So we downloaded the sheet music and printed it. She literally took it from the printer to the piano and began playing. I was shocked!! ...and so proud.

Since then, she has practiced it tirelessly. Took it to her piano teacher for help. He advised her to sing with it as it is really a vocal-type song, not a performance-type song. There is quite a bit of repitition in it.

Tryouts were today. She practiced over an hour last night. DH and I were upstairs watching Idol. (NOTE: She voluntarily missed Idol to practice..? hmm. Serious. ) "I can't do this!" she lamented. "I don't want to do it. I'm no good."

DH and I exchanged glances, trying not to look confused. Did she need support, or permission not to do it? We took the easy way.

"You sound great. I am so proud of you." This was my contribution.
"You don't have to do it. If you don't enjoy it, don't do it." This from DH.

Finally we suggested she video herself playing and singing. Look at it objectively. Decide for yourself if it's what you want it to be at this point.

She bought the idea. Moments later, we heard her practice again, then...the thin repeat of it, coming from her video cam.

Apparently she was happy enough with it. She auditioned today, and made it. Said she shook. Said her stomach hurt. Said she does not want to do it, might fail.

I listened. "You don't have to do it," I told her. Waited a few minutes.

Then I said, as offhandedly as I could, "Am I brave when I brush my teeth?"
Startled, she looked up. "Uh, no?" Wondered where it was headed.
"Am I brave when I tie my shoes?"
"When I load the dishwasher?"

"No, no, no."

"Right. Courage doesn't mean NOT being afraid. It's pushing on when you ARE."

So. She's practicing. Into her 2nd hour today. She just dropped into the office here where I am typing. "Get ready, Nana." I looked up. "You are going to get sick of this song."

Smiled, ducked out. Back to the piano.

We'll YouTube the performance.

No comments: