Sunday, March 30

Sunday Morning Alone

It is a cold, grey and rainy Sunday morning.

And I am alone. I did not go to church. I got up at 7:15 (late for me), enjoyed a slow cup of coffee, and read the paper.

I have gotten out of the habit of blogging my articles in the local paper, but there is one today. You can see it here.

DH and LO went on the twice-a-year, Daddy-and-child camping trip. Friends from church have 100 acres in the mountains about 2 hours from here and they invite 6 or 8 daddies to bring their children for a long weekend of camping, cooking over a fire, and random outdoor adventures. They take a trip in the fall and one in the spring. I believe this is the 3rd or 4th trip for DH and LO.

I hear they have a zipline about 30 feet long. The land features a good big creek for splashing, building dams, and general wet fun.

One time the dads brought shotguns, ear protection and hay bales for shooting lessons. They taught the children gun safety and let them shoot under supervision. (Shudder. "Gun Safety" is the biggest oxymoron I can think of.)

DH sometimes lets LO drive his old Mercedes, whom we have nicknamed Mr. Edison (for reasons to be shared in some other blog entry), across the fields. It's good practice and quite the confidence-builder.

Kids of all ages come, beginning at about age 5 and going up to high school. Regardless of age, the kids play together and have adventures.

They often take pictures. All the pictures have 3 things in common.
  1. The kids ALL have a bad case of bed-head.
  2. They typically have dirty faces and fingernails.
  3. Every one of them is wearing the same thing: A BIG SMILE.

I am off to clean house. I know they will bring home a huge pile of muddy clothes and shoes. I need a clean slate so I can keep up.

No comments: